Quinoa, pronounced “keen-wah,” is a 7,000-year-old plant from the mountainous regions of South America. Commonly referred to as gluten-free grain, quinoa is actually a seed.
Unlike most grains quinoa contains enough of the amino acids lysine and isoleucine to be considered a complete protein. This means that it has all 9 of the amino acids the human body needs to obtain from dietary sources.
This quinoa salad uses sprouted quinoa which is perfect for a detox diet because it is much easier to digest. “Sprouted” means the seeds have been soaked long enough to initiate germination which activates enzymes and deactivates hard to digest anti-nutrients.
Turmeric, coriander, and cumin are added for anti-inflammatory action, flavor, and to help with digestion. Shallot provides fiber to feed healthy bacteria and olive oil supplies healthy monounsaturated fats. The addition of fresh and crisp apple rounds out the flavors and adds a satisfying “crunch.”
This salad is easy, delicious, and a great staple for the 21 Day Detox diet!
1/4 cup raw whole organic almonds
1 cup organic sprouted quinoa
1 teaspoon local organic honey
1 tablespoon finely chopped organic shallot
1/2 teaspoon organic turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon organic coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon organic cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons juice of an organic lemon
Freshly ground organic pepper
2 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons organic dried cranberries, no sugar added
1 small granny smith, cut into 1/8-inch-thick wedges
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh organic mint leaves, coarsely chopped, plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread almonds on a baking sheet and toast in oven until lightly browned, around 7 minutes.
- Let cool and chop nuts to desired coarseness.
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly and drain.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Add quinoa in to the water and return to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer
- Cook until quinoa is al dente, about 15 minutes.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork and let cool.
- Whisk together honey, olive oil, shallot, turmeric, coriander, cumin, salt, pepper, and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Add quinoa, cranberies, apple, mint, and nuts; toss well. Garnish with mint.
How did your salad turn out? Let us know in the comments below!