The Keto Zone Diet is hallmarked by large amounts of healthy fats and low amounts of carbohydrates. But, even if you’re following these guidelines, you’re likely missing a much-needed group of foods: Fermented Vegetables and Greens.
Why do you need more?
No matter the number of carbs you eat, some of the healthiest carbohydrates come from vegetables.
In fact, when you eat vegetables, especially powerhouse green vegetables, your body receives a lot of benefits including:
- Anti-Cancer Nutrients
- Insoluble Fiber for Digestive Health
- Prebiotic Fiber for Healthy Gut Bacteria
- Cholesterol-Reducing stanols and sterols
- Nutrients that promote cellular detox
Even when you eat multiple servings of low-carb vegetables per day, you can keep net grams of carbs below 20 grams and keep 75% of your calories from fats.
Ready to add more? Here are our 5 Keto Zone Hacks to Eat Greens and More Fermented Vegetables.
5 Keto Zone Hacks to Eat More Greens and Fermented Vegetables
First, get to know the best vegetables for Keto Zone eating. Here’s a list of low-carb veggies:
- Green Beans
- Bok Choy
- Spinach & Green Leafy Vegetables
- Brussels Sprouts
How can you add more?
1. Add Fermented Green Supremefood
Divine Health has created an amazing powder to help Keto Zone dieters obtain the vegetables they need, in the most nourishing form.
Specifically, our Fermented Green Supremefood contains carrot, beet, parsley, spinach, kale, broccoli, cabbage, onion, and pea protein. Why is this important?
Fermented vegetables have been exposed to yeast or bacteria, or fermenters. These fermenters eat natural sugars and starches in the food, thereby changing it.
What changes take place? Fermented foods contain:
- Decreased Sugar. Fermentation vastly decreases sugar, since it has been used as food for the fermenters. The remaining sugars become more easily digestible.
- More Nutrients. As bacteria ferments the foods, it breaks down tough fibers and makes nutrient available to humans for absorption. This means many vitamins, minerals, and nutrients become easier to digest and absorb.
- Healthy Bacteria. As the fermenters proliferate, healthy bacteria multiply.
- Natural Food Preservation. Byproducts of fermentation, like alcohol and lactic acid, naturally preserve food.
- Better Proteins. As fermenters eat, they often alter proteins such as gluten, making them more digestible.
In healthy individuals, fermented foods fortify the digestive tract with more healthy bacteria. This can crowd-out and starve unhealthy bacteria and yeasts (1). What’s more, by protecting gut health, they can even reduce the toxicity and build-up of heavy metals in the body (2).
Fermented vegetables also improve immune function, dental health, promote weight loss and improve skin condition.
2. Make Concentrated Vegetable Soups
You can pack a lot of healthful green vegetables in a pureed soup. These vegetables are easy-to-digest since they are cooked and pureed. What’s more, when made with healthy fats, they are a great Keto Zone choice. Try our Keto Zone Broccoli Puree Soup.
3. Add More Avocados to Your Diet
Since avocados offer many vegetable-like nutrients AND healthy fats, they are perfect for Keto Zone.
What’s more, avocados are extremely versatile and flavorful. They can take an otherwise bland meal to the next level.
And, if you’ve gone dairy-free and miss cheese, add avocados to dishes. The rich, delicious avocado flavor will help you forget about any dairy you used to have.
4. Sneak Greens into Shakes and Smoothies
If you’re in the habit of making delicious Keto Zone Smoothies, make sure to add a cup of greens. You won’t likely notice them, and they add a nutrition punch to a food/drink that would otherwise not contain them.
Try adding spinach, green mixes, basil, arugula, and more.
“Green smoothies” are a refreshing, detoxifying, energizing, satisfying, gut-improving meal.
5. Use Low-Carb Keto Zone Vegetables in Place of Grains at Dinners
You know the drill: Cauliflower mashed potatoes, rice, and pizza crust. Zucchini noodles. Lettuce wraps for tacos and burgers. While these choices may be a bit cliche within low-carb eating, they are delicious and effective.
Not only do they help you omit harmful inflammatory carbs they pack a nourishing punch. You’d never get this from a taco shell, white rice, or pizza crust.
The benefits of fermented vegetables, grasses and greens are far-reaching, and your body needs more. Many keto eaters only focus on the fats and carbs and miss out on all the benefits of fermented greens. Take your diet to the next level, to the Keto Zone. Start with our Fermented Green Supremefood, and then add more low-carb Keto Zone greens in general.
Keep your diet low-carb, high-fat, and green.