Digestive issues and constipation plague many people, on all sorts of diets. From vegans to paleo to keto, you’ll find people who deal with constipation.
Luckily, Ketone Zone can help you fight constipation.
First, learn what does and doesn’t cause constipation for most people.
Then, figure out your own culprits by eliminating and re-adding foods and supplements.
Here’s what causes constipation, diet’s effect, and how you can fight constipation with Keto Zone.
Does Keto Cause Constipation?
Any google search of constipation will suggest you lack of fiber in your body.
But is this true?
Many individuals on high-fiber diets, whether vegetarian, paleo or otherwise, also suffer from constipation.
In fact, it seems to be a bigger issue with gut health itself, rather than a specific diet.
In fact, there have actually been studies showing dietary fiber causes constipation (1). You can take this with a grain of salt, of course, because some people respond well to increasing fiber. But, it’s not an absolute certainty, like it’s made out to be.
Why Am I Constipated on Keto?
If your bowel movement was regular before keto, and you’re now constipated, it’s likely due to a certain food you’ve added, instead of not a lack of fiber. Meats and most proteins are completely broken down, digested, and absorbed. So meats aren’t foods that increase the bulk of bowel movements.
Insoluble fiber, on the other hand, isn’t completely broken down by humans. Unlike animals, we don’t have enough enzymes to break them down and use them for energy. On the bright side, it can keep our guts strong. But, too much, or too many changes therewithin, can cause constipation.
Of note, there are two kinds of fiber: 1) Insoluble fiber is the type we can’t break down. It’s eliminated. 2) Soluble fiber actually promotes healing in damaged guts, gently increases fecal bulk, and is the better choice when used therapeutically.
So what’s the issue?
Many Keto Zone eaters become very concerned about fiber, and they can go overboard with nuts, seeds, and low-carbohydrate vegetables. All of these can be good, but they can also constipate.
For others, constipation is caused by an increase in red meat (red meat is not undigested, it can just be slow), or full-fat dairy.
If there’s one thing that’s sure, digestion is a very individual situation.
Fight Constipation with Keto Zone
Find the Offender
If you’ve added any of the following foods, whether for Keto Zone eating or otherwise, try decreasing them or making substitutions. Potential constipation causes:
- Nuts and Seeds – Eating way more nuts and seeds than you used to? This is likely part (or all) of the problem. Try omitting them for 2-3 days and see if it helps. Then, if you want to reintroduce, do so one at a time. Try sprouted nuts and seeds, or nut/seed butter instead of whole.
- Red Meat – Most people who have slow digestion with red meat, know it. It doesn’t matter if they’re keto or not, this has been an issue for them most of their lives. To resolve, decrease red meat and try poultry and fish instead.
- Full-Fat Dairy and Cheese – Are you eating more cream or cheese than ever? If so, try using coconut products instead, and omit cheese. A good substitution in meals is avocados. Obviously, they don’t taste the same or melt. But, when you use sliced avocados or Keto Zone Guacamole over a taco bowl, rather than cheese, the richness and creaminess is a great substitution and you likely won’t miss the cheese.
Identify any Foods You’re Missing That Previously Promoted Good Digestion
If eliminating a food from your diet is in fact, the reason for constipation, replace it with a similar food:
- Missing fruit? Choose Keto Zone vegetables instead. You’ll get similar nutrients without the carbohydrates.
- Missing grains? Try adding daily chia, whether in overnight chia “oatmeal” or chia pudding, or try Living Chia with Probiotics.
- Missing yogurt? Try making daily chia pudding and adding 1 scoop Fermented Red Supremefood.
Add Non-Fiber Nutrients that Promote Healthy Digestion
For many people, it’s simply an unhealthy gut that is the issue. It may be from antibiotic use or antibiotics in foods. It may be from a diet full of processed foods.
No matter the reasons, there are many proven non-fiber foods that promote gut health and healing.
- Probiotics and Fermented Foods – Antibiotics and unhealthy lifestyles can destroy colonies of healthy bacteria in your small intestine. You can add them back with probiotic supplements and fermented foods or powders. In fact, most adults with chronic constipation have fewer probiotic colonies than those with healthy digestion. Probiotics can improve gut motility (2) and frequency of bowel movements.
- L-Glutamine – This amino acids is a food source for gut cells, and can improve symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, and other digestive ailments.
- Collagen – Type II collagen, found in high-quality collagen powders made from bovine or chicken, can improve the structure of the digestive walls and tissues. This can promote overall digestive health.
- Soluble Fiber – One-hundred percent soluble fiber promotes regularity and is typically very well tolerated. However, it’s usually not found in natural foods. These are a combination of insoluble fiber and soluble fiber. Usually, 100% soluble fiber needs to be consumed via supplemental powders. It also acts as a prebiotic (3).
- Fluids – Even mild dehydration can increase the risk of constipation. In fact, increasing daily fluid intake can completely improve digestion and regularity in some (4).
- Magnesium – Among its many benefits, magnesium promotes regular bowel movements. In fact, it’s speculated that many who suffer from constipation are deficient in magnesium.
- Warm Drinks such as Coffee and Tea – Tea and coffee have natural chemical laxative effects and stimulates bowel movement and relaxes digestive smooth muscle with warmth.
Constipation is often the result of an unhealthy gut or one that needs healing. Whether this has been a chronic problem for you or not, you can fight it with Keto Zone eating plans and supplements. By systematically figuring out the issue and applying the remedy, you can be regular and healthy.