I know what you’re thinking. If you read the title of this recipe and post, you’re thinking there’s no way you’re going to like a pizza crust made out of a mushroom. After all, pizza is one of the most beloved “fun foods” in America, and portabella mushrooms…not so beloved. However, this recipe is fantastic. Portabella mushrooms offer the perfect bland flavor for a pizza crust. And, it’s so easy to make.
If you want to stay in the Keto Zone and have your pizza too, you’re gonna have to work for it. This one makes it easier. Here’s how to make it, what commercial keto pizza crusts stack up, and why you should eat more portabella mushrooms anyway.
Keto Zone Pizza Crust with Portabella Mushrooms
Portabella Mushroom Crusts:
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, cleaned, gills removed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Optional Pizza Toppings:
- sauce: low-carb marinara sauce, Keto Zone Marinara Sauce, Keto Zone Pesto, or more Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Italian seasoning
- mozzarella cheese, shredded
- mini pepperoni, natural sausage (cooked), or other favorite pizza meat
- large basil leaves, torn
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Brush the inside and the outside of each mushroom with olive oil, and season the tops with salt and pepper.
- Place the prepared mushrooms on the mat, tops down.
- Build your pizza with your favorite toppings, including marinara or pesto, herbs, cheese, and meat.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until cheese has melted and mushroom is tender.
- Top with fresh basil and serve.
Nutrition Info (for mushroom crust)*: 256 calories, 26 grams fat, 1.4 grams net carbs (2.4 grams carbs, 1 gram fiber), 2.4 grams protein (91% calories from fat). Optional toppings not included in nutrition info due to variances.
Why Make Keto Zone Pizza Crusts with Portabella Mushrooms?
When it comes to keto pizza crusts, you have a few options. You can buy a crust, or you can make one. There are a few good options if you’re looking to buy them, but they often require online shopping and are quite expensive.
If you’d like to choose a commercial crust, keep these factors in mind:
- Always first with commercial products, turn the package over and read the ingredients list (or find it online). Don’t pay attention to the front side of a package; it is little more than marketing. Read every ingredient and make sure it doesn’t contain soybean oil, concentrated omega-6 oils, high fructose corn syrup, MSG, silicone dioxide (silica), and other preservatives), food colorings, and chemical flavoring. Is it acceptable? Go to step 2. Unacceptable? Look for another brand.
- Next, look at the nutrition label. Does it fit into your Keto Zone eating plan? How many net carbs does each serving contain? Is the serving acceptable to you? If so, move to step 3. Unacceptable? Look for another.
- Lastly, does it meet your standards for taste, texture, and convenience? When you’re buying keto foods, you’re usually spending a decent amount of money. Make sure it’s worth it based on reviews, recommendations, and instructions. If not, make your own with our Keto Zone Pizza Crust recipes.
Two online options that fit the bill in terms of ingredients, nutrition, and reviews are Cali’flour Foods Gluten Free Low Carb Cauliflower Original Italian Pizza Crusts and Outer Aisle Gourmet Cauliflower Pizza Crusts. However both are very expensive, and while they taste good, some reviewers don’t like the textures.
Why You Should Just Opt Portabella Mushroom
If you want to make your keto crust, there are also many options available. Some of our own recipes differ from this portabella mushroom one quite a bit but still deliver a great product. They often take more ingredients and time though. One favorite is this Keto Zone Stovetop Pizza Crust.
The great thing about using portabella mushrooms, though, is you are using an easy single-ingredient, whole-food as a crust! And portabella mushrooms offer a lot of great nutrition. This includes:
Antioxidants and Anti-Inflammatories: The antioxidants in portabella mushrooms, like those in other plant foods, fight free radicals and oxidative stress. This in turn protects cells and tissues while supporting skin health and healthy aging. What’s more, mushrooms also contain anti-inflammatory nutrients, which may reduce risk of chronic disease associated with inflammation (1).
Beta-glucan: Beta-glucan is a soluble fiber that is associated with improved cholesterol and heart health. It can also reduce blood sugar spikes and the risks of type 2 diabetes.
B vitamins: B vitamins, including riboflavin, niacin, and pantothenic acid, are abundant in mushrooms. They are important for heart health, red blood cells, energy, skin and hair health, and more.
Copper: Copper is a vital mineral that supports energy in the body. It aids in the synthesis of red blood cells, which deliver oxygen to your tissues. It also supports healthy bones, nerves, and more. Copper is best obtained from natural foods that keep it in balance since too much, or too little, can have negative effects on health (2).
Potassium: Potassium is another extremely important mineral that supports heart, muscle, and nerve function. Portabella mushrooms have comparable potassium levels to bananas, making them a great low-carbohydrate source of potassium.
It really doesn’t get easier or healthier than a Keto Zone Pizza Crust with portabella mushrooms. Skip the expensive commercial brands and difficult recipes. Use portabella mushrooms for an easy, high-nutrition pizza dinner!
For more Keto Zone tips and recipes, join our FREE Keto Zone 21-Day-Challenge today!