After you’ve started your Keto Zone journey, there may be times when you find it tough to stay on track with Keto Zone. Sometimes, it’s simply a lack of know-how, preparation, or accountability. Other times, your body simply needs a nudge to get going again.
Here are 10 tried and true tips to stay on track with Keto Zone, derived from successful keto eaters!
10 Tips to Stay on Track with Keto Zone
1. Use a Real Guide Rather than a Hodgepodge of Online Info
Sometimes, too much information can be a bad thing. The internet offers us a lot of free information, but if you feel confused with Keto Zone, a definitive guide is usually more helpful.
2. Simplify Your Eating Habits
One of the best things about Keto Zone is that it’s a simple eating plan. There are only 2 directives:
- Cut carbohydrates down to ~20 net carbs per day (net carbs are Total Carbs – Fiber and Sugar Alcohols (you can find these on the nutrition label).
- Make sure every meal is mostly healthy fats. This should make up about 75% of meals and snacks. Healthy fats include olive oil, avocados, fish and seafood, coconut oil, avocado oil, nuts/seeds, MCT oils/powders and more.
What does this look like in a meal? Eat vegetables, healthy meats, and add a lot of healthy fats.
3. Drink A Lot of Water and Add Electrolytes
When entering and maintaining ketosis, your body simply needs more fluid than normal. Drink water throughout the day, and aim for a minimum of 80 ounces per day for women, and 100 ounces per day for men.
Along with adequate hydration, a body in ketosis needs more electrolytes than one not in ketosis.
While entering and eating within the Keto Zone, add Instant Ketones every day. These exogenous ketones will help you stay within ketosis, get back in the Keto Zone, and enjoy the energy and mental-clarity benefits of being in the Keto Zone.
In addition, try adding bone broth. It is a high-sodium, healthy fluid that can help those in the Keto Zone feel great and hydrated.
4. If You’re Not Losing Weight, Track Body Composition
Sometimes, our bodies readily lose weight. Other times, they lose fat, gain muscle, but do not really show a difference on the scale. If you’re only looking at the number on the scale, it can become very frustrating.
In addition to weight, look at:
- Body Composition using a simple flexible tape measure to measure your waist, chest, neck, and hips.
- How Clothes Fit. Most clothes and belts can give you a good indication of weight loss. If your normal clothes start to feel too big, this is a great indication that your body is changing regardless of the number on the scale.
- Energy and sleep. As you lose body fat and become healthier, you should begin to notice better daily energy. Of course, this occurs after the initial ketosis phase.
- Resist comparisons to online “success stories.” Some are true, some are complete fabrications. Focus on your own journey, be happy for others, but don’t let a lack of huge weight loss numbers discourage you.
5. Use a Carb-Counting or Food Diary App to Get to Know Carb Counts
If you’re struggling with staying in the Keto Zone, make sure to track your carbohydrate counts. Many successful Keto Zone eaters find that a food diary app is an easy way to track.
The My Fitness Pal App and the Carb Manager App are two favorites. You can track each food, and even set target daily eating goals.
When you know the numbers, you can make sure you’re eating less than or equal to 25 grams of net carbohydrates per day.
6. Add Intermittent Fasting with Keto Zone Coffee and Tea
A great way to boost weight loss and health is intermittent fasting (1). And a simple way to intermittent fast is to simply not eat between 7 pm and 11 am each day.
To learn more about intermittent fasting, check out this post.
7. Make Your Keto Zone Plan Family-Friendly
If you have a family and/or cook for others, you may find family-friendly meals to be a Keto Zone hurdle. But, you can stay on track with Keto Zone eating with a few tweaks to meal planning.
Try making normal meals for your family, and simply omitting the carbohydrate/grain for your own portion. Yours will include vegetables, proteins, and fat. Theirs may have added rice or potatoes.
8. Plan Meals Ahead of Time
Preparation is the key to almost any successful Keto Zone eater. To stay on track with Keto Zone, try planning out your meals ahead of time.
In order to keep it from being overwhelming, try just a 3-day plan to start. Figure out what you want to eat for 3 days, and then shop for all the needed ingredients.
As you get better at it, you can extend the time to a full week, start doubling and freezing meals for subsequent weeks and form a meal pattern that makes it much easier and less stressful.
9. Don’t Be Boring
If you don’t like what you’re eating, if there’s no variety, or if you fixate on the foods you “can’t have,” you won’t stay on track with Keto Zone.
Luckily, most any recipe can be turned into a Keto Zone dish, and we have many resources to get you started:
- Dr. Colbert’s Quick & Healthy Keto Zone Cookbook
- KetoZone.com Recipe Archive
- DrColbert.com Recipe Archive
10. Create a Plan for Restaurants, Traveling, and Holidays
No matter how well you do on normal days, you may be thrown for a loop with Keto Zone eating at restaurants, when traveling and at Holidays. Try these tips:
- Take Keto Zone friendly food with you when traveling. Try cheese, nuts and seeds, Keto bars, MCT powders, collagen, etc.
- When eating out, ask for Keto Zone options such as lettuce-wrapped burgers with no bun, sandwiches made into giant salads without bread, and/or salad options with added meat and oils. Consumer demand has significantly increased the availability of Keto-friendly foods at restaurants (2).
- Keep meals simple. Think in terms of vegetables, meats, and added fats. Don’t complicate it or choose meals with a lot of ingredients combined into one dish (such as casseroles).
- Make travel-friendly fat bombs to have as snacks when traveling. These will curb hunger and keep your macronutrients in Keto Zone proportions.
For more tips, see:
Ready for More Tips for Keto?
These first 10 tips are a great place to start. But again, if you’re having trouble staying on track with Keto Zone, the best advice is to start with a clear guide such as Dr. Colbert’s Keto Zone Diet book and the Keto Zone 21-Day-Challenge.
Clear advice, real science, and all the resources you need. You can stay on track with Keto Zone!